Sunday 12 February 2012

Diary Cover

this one is from feb 2010:




Some time ago I made myself a black leather cover for my diary- Simply because the picture on it annoyed me!


A friend of mine saw it today and wanted one as well- so we came to my place and had a look on various fabrics and leather scraps I got...       
- she decided on the tan leather suede side and a button to match. Stunning comb, I must admit it much looks better than my black leather one. I might just make myself a cover for something out of that. So here is how we did it.


List Of Items:
Diary, book, notebook- Whatever.
Button.
Large enough piece of leather.
Contact Adhesive.
Scissors.
Leather hole punch.
Surface to cut on & a scalpel could help as well as a good steel ruler.



Think about where on the leather you want to place your book. Take into account strings, bookmarks and other extensions you would want to cut out of the same piece as well as patterns whether its on leather or fabric.

Position ans stitch the button. Here we used a leather string cut from the same leather, wrapped around botton holes and leather twice and tied on top. (so the knot doesn't make a knob under the cover but acctualy formes a decorative motif on the button.


This is how it looks on the back side:


Apply the adhesive on both sides. Follow the instructions of the product you use (usually to wait 5-10 min. till both sides feel dry to the touch).


Align the surfaces and press together. Do the same to the "back bone" and the back cover of the book.

Now when the whole book is covered you can start trim the edges. You can go for a clean cut like we did here, wavy like the black leather cover diary or any way you like.

 

Remember to leave certain areas uncut if you had in mind strings & bookmarks.


Cut the strings from the allowance you have left.

 
Enjoy 


So what do you think?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment